Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Drama Queen" Or Just Emotionally Honest?

I've always been a very emotional, very passionate person and it comes across in everything that I say or do. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I'm proud of it! I embrace all my emotions and I express them freely with my family, my friends and my patients. I think emotions are extremely important, it defines us, it guides us, it unites us, it is what makes us human. I'm not only emotional but I'm emotionally honest. I say what I feel and I feel what I say.

My life has been somewhat of a roller coaster lately, sometimes I'm up and sometimes I'm down. Some days I'm a complete emotional train wreck, some days I'm the life of the party. I believe my life is a drama unfolding, every scene has it's own emotions, it's own purpose and it's own moral value. I believe that there's something to be learned from everything and everyone....from all my experiences, from the people I've met, from the patients I've treated, from the places that I have been to. I think everyone and everything that is here in my drama of a life has a reason. Sometimes I feel I think too much, sometimes I think I feel too much. So am I a "Drama Queen" or am I just emotionally honest?

I'm currently taking some time off from work to pursue my ultimate passion....writing. It is not easy, everyday I have to explain to my patients why I need to do this. They tell me that they will miss me and I tell them I'm doing this not because I want to leave them. I need to take some time off in order to pursue my dream of becoming a writer because I want to be with them forever. That's the problem with me, I am extremely honest and my consultations end up being rather lengthy. But I suppose that is why my patients love me, they can always count on me to be completely honest. They're not only my patients, they're my friends. When they are sick or they have problems, be it medical or not, I'm always there listening and sometimes offering advice. It's emotionally draining but I wouldn't want to live my life any other way.

I guess what I'm trying to say in my typical long winded manner is, emotion is very important. Being able to feel is what makes us human. Being in touch with my emotions makes me a better person, a better doctor. It saddens me to see how society discourages emotional honesty.
We tell our children to say sorry when they didn't actually feel like saying it, we tell them to say thank you when in fact they did not feel thankful. We tell them...stop crying, stop complaining, stop being melodramatic.....we tell our children to stop feeling. We rarely stop to listen to their feelings. We tell them to just accept certain things, do not question, do not feel, c'est la vie.

I'm genuinely worried that our children will grow up emotionally challenged. I'm especially concerned about our boys who are being emotionally crippled by our society. Is it really true that men are from mars and women are from venus or are we simply a product of our environment?

I believe emotions are extremely important. You have to be emotionally aware in order to be happy. You have to be emotionally aware to be emotionally honest. You have to be emotionally honest if you want self acceptance and self love. I would rather be called a Drama Queen than an Ice Queen anyday. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Lithium for bipolar? Hehe.
    Prozac not used much, Lexapro is the latest.

    Anyway, embrace your emotion.

    ReplyDelete