Monday, October 12, 2009

The Secret To Saving My Sanity

Sometimes we get too caught up in our busy lives, our busy schedules....that we forget to breathe, we forget to feel, we forget to live!

I was once a Superwoman. This post is dedicated to all the Superwoman out there, I know what you're going through, I know what you're feeling, I know how tired you feel every morning, I know the anxiety that you feel just as you're about to start that mad morning rush..."I wonder what time I'll get to work today?" I know how you're rushing through your showers and meals just to gain those extra valuable minutes, I know how the red light at the traffic stop is when you put on your lipstick and actually have a glance at the mirror.

Lunch time is the only break you get during the day, and that's only if you're lucky enough to get a break. Most of the time, you're too tired to even eat, some of you might prefer a short power nap instead....need to recharge before the evening rush. The rush back home, the rush to your car, the rush out of the parking lot. You need to beat the queue, need to beat the jam because your little darlings are waiting.

By the time you get to see them, they give you the brightest, kindest of smiles....a few hugs and kisses and you're off again just like an Energizer bunny. You get the dinner done, get the dishes done, get the laundry done, get the homework done and maybe just maybe, you'll get another round of hugs & kisses just before they go off to bed. I know how bad your back hurts at the end of the day, I know how sometimes you just feel like crying.

I feel you...I know how unappreciated you feel sometimes but I also know why you do it. It is because of love but sometimes..... love just isn't enough. I'm telling you now, you are not alone...I'm here, we are all here. We appreciate and value everything that you do and we love you for it, even though we might not show it. Thank you from the very bottom of our hearts. Thank you because you're the queen of our hearts.

Some of us are luckier than others, some have Superman to help out once in a while. While for the rest of us, Superman is a just a myth, a mirage, a complete illusion.

Now I'm going to tell you my secret, how I survived working 60-80 hours a week while at the same time managed to bring up my two kids practically all by myself. I used to prepare the kids for school, bathed them in the morning, fed them, send and picked them up from school....I even thought them how to hold a pencil, I thought them their ABC's, I potty trained them. I also prepared the meals, washed the dishes, cleaned the house, cared for the parents and nephews and nieces while they're in town.

How did I save my sanity? I made sure I had some quality "ME" time. With just me, myself and I. It's just me and my thoughts, me and my friends, me and my writings. At the end of the day, no matter how tired I am, I made sure I reflected on what I did and how I felt the day went. How I could've probably saved some time doing things a different way. I also wrote about some of my pent up feelings, sometimes to an understanding friend, sometimes just to myself. I write about how I feel. I write about why I do it....it helps me focus, it gives me strength, it keeps me happy. The secret to saving my sanity is writing.

If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment